Have you been hearing about this new twist on coffee called Bulletproof Coffee? It’s becoming all the rage among various health advocates and it’s popping up in trendy cafes and coffee shops all around the world.
Bulletproof Coffee was invented by Dave Asprey, the BulletProof Executive who spent 15 years investigating, researching and exploring the source of his health challenges. He developed the Bulletproof Diet which is an anti-inflammatory program for weight loss, peak performance and vitality.
Bulletproof Coffee is one of the key aspects of Asprey’s diet that combines grass-fed butter, coconut oil and coffee.
I have to admit, it sounded odd to me at first too. Butter in your coffee? Ewww. Gross. Most people cringe and can’t even imagine it. That’s what I thought until I tried it. Now I look forward to it every morning.
For most of my life I was not a coffee drinker. The caffeine and I just didn’t agree. Even though I loved the smell, I’d get all shaky, anxious, jittery and irritable when I drank it.
The combination of the beneficial fats in the butter and coconut oil really smooths out any negative side effects for me and I now enjoy Bulletproof coffee each morning in place of breakfast and I don’t need to eat until late morning or around noon.
Here’s why Bulletproof Coffee works and some of the health benefits:
- Mixing butter to hot drinks is actually more common than you might think. Many cultures have been doing it for centuries. Like the Ethiopians who add spiced butter to their coffee and the Tibetans who add yak butter to tea.
- New evidence suggests that starting your day with a dose of beneficial fat may help stimulate your body’s ability to burn fat which can help with weight loss. Grass fed butter has the best ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids which is also beneficial for heart health.
- The good fats also keep hunger down, increases energy, is good for your brain health, is anti-inflammatory, builds cell walls, and supports your hormones.
- The combination of healthy fats and caffeine gives you energy plus clarity, focus and mental sharpness that lasts much longer than with regular coffee. You won’t crash after an hour.
- It’s a quick meal replacement on the go. Because of the butter and coconut oil you’ll feel satiated and full longer than if you ate a carbohydrate dense breakfast like cereal, oatmeal, or toast. And because it is higher in calories, you likely want to skip breakfast.
How to make Bulletproof Coffee:
- Brew your favourite coffee, preferably from organic, light roasted beans to avoid mould and toxins.
- Add 2 cups of coffee to your blender along with 2 tbsp organic coconut oil, 2 tbsp grass fed, uncultured or organic butter.
- Blend until it reaches a latté like consistency.
- Pour into your favourite mug or to-go cup and enjoy!
What do you think? Have you been curious to try Bulletproof Coffee? Will you give it a go? Let me know in the comments below.
* This post was originally published in the Herald Community on April 6, 2015.