The big day is just months away. The calendar has turned and this is your year. The year you walk down the aisle in front of all your most cherished friends as family into the arms of the one you love.
The pressure is on. You’re likely overwhelmed with all the planning and organizing; negotiating with vendors, finalizing invitations, deciding on decorations and food, pleasing families, sticking to a budget and of course worrying about looking your absolute best.
With all those responsibilities and to do lists, it’s hard to stay healthy, fit, toned and rested – , essential ingredients for a flawless wedding day.
I’ve put together five health and wellness tips to keep you on track during your wedding planning and help you show up looking your radiant best for the big day.
1. Jump start with a detox or a cleanse – A great way to kick start a bit of weight loss, increase your energy and build some motivation is to do a short cleanse or detox. By resetting your system and eliminating toxins you’ll feel so much better and be inspired to continue on with a healthy plan until wedding day.
2. Minimize sugar and processed foods – After your detox you’ll want to move to an eating plan that is based on real whole foods. Minimize, and eliminate if possible, all added sugars and processed foods. The foundation of what you eat should be real whole foods the way nature intended them. Vegetables, fruit, animal and plant based proteins, seeds, nuts, healthy fats and oils. These will keep you energized, your skin looking great, and your waistline trim.
3. Plan and organize your food – The next five to eight months are going to be super busy. To stay on track with healthy food you have to be prepared otherwise you’ll be hitting the drive-thrus. What works for me is taking Sunday afternoons to get my food ready for the week. Cut up some veggies, get salads prepared, make a pot of soup and poach or bake some chicken breasts. The key to success is having healthy food available at all times.
4. Burn fat and tone up with high intensity workouts – A ton of new research is coming out around the benefits of high intensity interval training (HIIT). It’s one of the best ways to burn fat and tone up. And it just takes 30-45 minutes three times a week. HIIT gyms and workouts are popping up everywhere and there are lots of online resources to guide your home workouts.
5. Keep calm, balanced and rested – There is probably no higher time for stress than while planning a wedding. So before things get out of control, you’ll want to factor in some stress relieving techniques. Try a lunchtime walk, a hot bath, weekly yoga class or a monthly massage. Morning meditation or daily journalling are also great ways to clear the mind and stay focussed. And make sure you’re getting enough sleep. Without it everything else will be off.
By integrating these five tips in your life, your wedding planning will go smoother, your moods and energy levels will be more balanced, and you’ll arrive at the alter glowing, toned, light and bright.
* This post was originally published in the Herald Community on January 20, 2015.