I’ve been spending time over the holidays reflecting, unravelling and looking ahead to the new year. I love this time of transition. Moving from one chapter to another. It feels like a time of pause. Where time is suspended.
During the rest of the year, I find it hard to take the necessary time to properly reflect. If you’re anything like me you plough through from one project, accomplishment or milestone to the next. Never really connecting the dots or taking time to decipher what it all means and what you’ve learned along the way.
And so I look forward to the holidays to push pause. To reflect. To take stock. To gather up the learnings and insights from the year and ponder on how I’ve grown, changed and what the year has taught me.
As part of this process, I love writing these thoughts and reflections down. There is something magical that happens when you journal, put pen to paper and set your intentions. It takes those random thoughts in your head to the next level. Gives them some weight. Some meaning.
Whether it’s from a business perspective, health and well-being or life in general, I think it’s important to look back, dig into the last 12 months as a first step. It’s hard to move forward into a new year if you haven’t adequately identified and analyzed the gifts and gems of the previous one. Only then can you plot out your roadmap for the new year.
I take this reflective and intention setting practice into my health and wellness work with my own clients. And so in this post, I’m adapting some of the contemplations, queries, and observations I’ve been working with, into the health and wellness realm. I offer these inquiries to help you manifest and get closer to your health and wellness goals for 2020.
I invite you to treat yourself to a lovely new journal, carve out an hour or two, brew up a mug of your favourite hot beverage and sink into this contemplative exercise:
Unravelling the year that was
Thinking about your health and wellness from last year, journal about the following inquiries:
- What did you embrace?
- What did you let go of?
- What changed?
- What were you most grateful for?
- What are you most proud of?
- Who supported you?
- What have you learned about your body, and your beliefs about health and wellness?
- What was your biggest health and wellness challenge?
- How did you deal with the challenge?
- What didn’t get done?
Setting intentions for the coming year
Thinking about what you’d like to manifest in 2020 around your health and wellness, contemplate the following:
- Choose a word for the year, something to guide your health and wellness journey over the next 12 months.
- It’s December 2021, you’re sitting in a cafe mulling over the last year. Describe the state of your health and wellness. What have you achieved?
- What are your biggest health and wellness opportunities in 2020?
- What are you most excited about?
- 2020 is the year that I ….
- What do you need to learn or ask for support around?
- What are you ready to let go of in 2020?
- List three things you will commit to doing for your health and wellness in 2020.
- How do you want to feel at the end of 2020?
- What are the top three activities, changes, or steps that would have the biggest impact on your health and wellness?
If you find this type of process and practice useful, I invite you to book a free stress breakthrough call so we can identify your challenges and then begin developing a plan for you to overcome them and move toward your vision.